Goa is one of the most beautiful places in world. The blend of diversified cultures and peace loving nature of people has attracted world towards Goa.
Ancient History of GoaIf we flashback to epic-era, Goa is considered as the land of Lord Parshurama. It was all water, Lord Parashurama unlashed the arrow, splashing water apart thereby creating Goa.
In all these years Goa witnessed the regime of various rulers like Shilahar, Kadamba, Bahamani, Adilshah and finally entered the Portuguese. Portuguese who came as traders, became rulers and carried on their regime for about 450 years. Time to time various revolts erupted against Portuguese. 1st major revolt was the Desai’s revolt in Cuncolim in 1575.
Whilst the rest of the country saw democracy in action with the dawn of Independence on. 15 August, 1947 and its consolidation with the proclamation of the sovereign and democratic Republic of India on 26 January, 1950, the people of Goa were still groaning under Salazar's fascist regime of terror, one of the oppressive dictatorships on record. The prolonged Goan freedom struggle which culminated in the liberation of Goa on 19 December, 1961, saw the end of the colonial domination and its replacement by a democratic set-up as an integral part of India. It marked a watershed in the socio-political history of Goa.
Goa After LiberationInitially the liberated territory was under the army administration of Lt. Gen. Candeth, the Military Governor who was assisted by the Chief Civil Administrator. On 8th June, 1962, the Military Government gave place to civil rule. The Lt. Governor formed an informal Consultative Council consisting of 29 nominated members to assist him in the administration of the territory. This Council was inaugurated on 24 September, 1962. The metting of the Council was open to public.
On passing of the Constitution (Twelfth Amendment) Act, 1962 by the Union Parliament on 20 June, 1962, the territory of Goa, Daman and Diu was conferred the status of a Union Territory with retrospective effect from 20 December, 1961. The Government of Union Territory Act, 1963 came into force on 13 May. 1963. This Act was amended in 1971 which gave additional powers to the Administator to assent to Bills, issue ordinances, etc., in certain cases.
The 1st General election of liberated Goa, Daman and Diu, was held on 09/12/1963. People for the first time in their long and chequered history, provided an opportunity for direct participation in Government in which they had a vital stake and making them masters of their destiny, so as to elect 30 members of First legislative assembly. Late Shri Dayanand Bandodkar became the first Chief Minister of Independent Goa, Daman and Diu.
On 9th January 1964, for the first time, members of first legislative
assembly of Goa Daman and Diu, legislative met at Adilshah palace, the
Secretariat building to transact business. Adilshah Palace, situated
on banks of River Mandovi witnessed several assembly sessions to take
Goa on progressive path.
On 30th May 1987, the district Goa of then existing union territory Goa Daman and Diu was formed into a new state known as State of Goa.
The State of GoaThe Goa State assembly was functioning in age old secretariat building i.e. Adilshah palace along with Civil Secretariat which was showing the signs of aging and was inadequate to accommodate the committee meetings.
Thus the need arised to house the assembly in a permanent building with congenial working environment to transact the business of the assembly more effectively.
The assembly building is not merely the house of power and symbolic place where peoples representatives discuss and decide the well being of the state, but it is also the house of people. Considering these factors and to reinforce the relationship of population with its representative the concept of new assembly complex was conceived.
Government therefore located and selected a site on hillock plateau, a plot admeasuring 54,250 sq.m. with trapezoidal shape, overlooking Mandovi River along the National Highway No. 17 at Porvorim in the village of Penha de France in Bardez Taluka for this prestigious Goa legislative assembly complex. This prestigious complex, the symbol of Goa state and a source of inspiration was proposed to have the qualities of past association, historical continuity, and tradition of place.
The Beginning of the New ComplexTenders were invited to design the project and the design by M/s. Karan Grover and associates was selected. The construction contract was offered to M/s. Ahluwalia contracts (India) Ltd.
The foundation stone for this prestigious project was laid on auspicious day of 22nd January 1994 by Late Dr Shankar Dayal Sharma, President of India.
The official website of Goa Vidhansabha has been developed to provide information about the Goa Vidhansabha to the general public. The documents and information displayed in the website are for reference purposes only and do not claim to be a legal document. Though all efforts have been made to ensure the accuracy of the content, the same should not be construed as a statement of law or used for any legal purposes.
The information contained in the website is based on the inputs received from the concerned Sections/branches of the Secretariat. Users are advised to verify/check any information with the relevant published documents before acting on the information provided in the website. Links to other websites that have been included on this website are provided for public convenience only. Goa Legislature Secretariat is not responsible for the contents or reliability of linked websites and does not necessarily endorse the view expressed within them